Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Quickie Tip!

No, I am not Heloise offering Hints, but I did try a technique yesterday I wanted to share. We have a bunch of stainless steel knives (some expensive, some not) that were...get ready for the irony...stained. They became "stain-full" of rust circles and appeared dull. All of our knives go into the dishwasher and are not treated with kid gloves. They hang on a magnetic rack (see pic) which is one of my favorite organizers (but that's a whole 'nother post!).

I looked online for a tip for cleaning stainless steel, and was happy to realize I had the 2 ingredients -- vinegar and baking soda. I mixed a large measuring cup with 1 cup vinegar and 3 cups hot water. Using a sponge, I wiped and rubbed the liquid on each knife first. Then I poured out chunks of baking soda directly onto the blades and rubbed some more. Last I rinsed the blades in hot water, and dried the knife with a cloth towel.

Presto! It worked. Hope it can help you too!