Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Excuses for Not Getting Organized

I cannot remember where I found this list of excuses for not getting organized, but I think it is apropos to share with the New Year coming.

YES, BUT...I WANT TO FINISH IT THE DAY I START IT
The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can. Whether it’s picking up a single paper to file, sorting and organizing one drawer, or cleaning out one shelf in one cupboard, starting the project with tiny steps is powerful. Because one step leads to ANOTHER, and then another.

YES, BUT...I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START

It doesn’t matter WHERE you start! Write out a list of “to do’s” that you’ve been procrastinating about, and then write them on 3 x 5 inch cards or scrap pieces of paper. Put them in a box or bag and pick one. Start there and work 5, 10, or 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week until you’ve FINISHED it.

YES, BUT...I'D RATHER WAIT UNTIL I CAN DO THE JOB RIGHT

Remember that any start is better than no start.

YES, BUT… THIS ISN'T A GOOD TIME TO START

Do not wait: the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you are, and work with whatever tools/time you may have. There are a hundred and one ways to find an extra 15 minutes in a day. Organizing is a priority INVESTMENT that reaps extra minutes, if not hours, eventually.

YES, BUT… I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO GET MOTIVATED

You have to get the juices flowing, which motivates you to work on your goals. Getting momentum going is the most difficult part of the job, and often taking the first step is enough to prompt you to continue. In other words, to FEEL like doing it, you have to START.