Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Self-Improvement Month

Every January I prepare myself for the onslaught of organizing and diet advice that we get bombarded with -- on TV, in store circulars, at stores, etc. I know it's coming and yet I still roll my eyes. It's only January 6th and I've already had it with "10 Ways to Get More Organized" or "Make 2009 Your Year to be Thin!" or the like. While I realize weight loss, increased exercise and organization top the list of New Year's resolutions, it is all so predictable.

There's not that much new to say on the topics. Want to lose weight? Eat less, exercise more. [Not that I follow that simplistic advice most of the time, mind you.] The only thing different is how it's packaged in the media -- a different pill, program or book. When it comes to organizing, perhaps I'm biased. But I just don't see how giant displays of Rubbermaid plastic bins in the stores will necessarily make people organized. There are new books, websites, and shows all offering to assist us with decluttering.

I maintain that, at any point in the year, if you want to change, you should. If you haven't done it over a long period of time, enlist the help of a professional. It could be a personal trainer or a professional organizer. Think long-term instead of jumping on the self-improvement bandwagon because it's popular right now. Maybe it's not January, maybe it's not February, but at one point you will do it for the right reasons.