Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Thursday, May 28, 2009

You Know Those Pull-out Drawers in the Fridge?

They are the plastic drawers designated for vegetables or meat or cheese or dairy, whatever. I am not a fan of them. I don't like them because they hide the contents. It's a perfect case of "out of sight, out of mind". Unless you remember to pull the drawer(s) out on a regular basis, you don't always know what's inside. That leads to things going bad, not being eaten or used, and thus waste.



I have been known to take out the drawers that come inside of refrigerators -- I remove them and use the space instead to put things I can see. What do I do with the items that one would put in the drawer? I use smaller plastic bins (without a top) that I label, such as "yogurt", "fruits" or "vegetables". Then we take out the bin, look through to see what we need, and then put the bin back on the shelf. You can stack them, too, thereby making more efficient use of space.
I do the same for the freezer, too, by the way.