Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Labels...not on bins, but on me!

Here's a post that's pretty random but was in my thoughts just the same.


I had a client whose husband always referred to me as 'the Organizer lady'. It always made me smile because that made me sound old, and this man was about 10-12 years older than me. Or clients will tell someone on the phone when I'm there that 'The Organizer is here', which makes me feel important like The Godfather, that the client has to get off the phone out of respect.

Am I a 'neat freak'? That to me sounds like I clean the bathroom floor with a toothbrush (which I have never done) or never let my kids get messy (which I have done).

And no, I am not Obsessive-Compulsive or have any other behavioral disorders.

When I tell people that I'm an organizer or they see my car's sign, I get some interesting reactions. Other than pleasant curiosity or admiration (LOL), I get 1) "You are a party planner?"; 2) "You are a labor organizer like for the SteelWorkers Union 156?"; or 3) general laughter. I actually had one guy tee-hee-hee when I told him what my business was. Defensively I asked why he was laughing, and all he said was "So you like, go into people's houses and organize them?" Um, YEAH! True story.

Merriam-Webster (online) said that organized means "following a set method, arrangement, or pattern". True. That does describe me for the most part. It definitely helps to define what I do professionally, too. Ultimately, though, to sum it up:

I just want to find or find out what I want, when I want, where I go to get it.