Organizing, Redesign & Staging

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thinking about New Year's

Not too far after the Christmas wrapping paper is picked up, comes that time of year where many people make resolutions. I'd like to add my two cents to the topic of New Year's, and our habit of resolving to (fill in the blank).


First of all, let me say that I think making a resolution is a wonderful concept -- trying to improve yourself, make things better, etc. I understand how it is a new year, a fresh start, and the natural fit of making a change at that time. It is a great time for introspection. However....why not make a resolution in May? Today? Last week? What about the old line of 'tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life'? And do we keep New Year's resolutions?

Consider these "Fast Facts About New Year's Resolutions" (from About.com):
  • 63% of people keep their resolutions after two months.

  • 67% of people make three or more resolutions.

  • People make more resolutions to start a new habit, than to break an old one.

Let's be realistic, and understand that for resolutions to stick, they must become part of our lifestyle, our lives. The change must be one you're committed to being a consistent part of everyday life, and that is not easy.

Sometimes, we create our own obstacles that prevent these resolutions from being accomplished. Identifying those roadblocks to why we don't exercise more, eat better, stop smoking et al could be more helpful than the resolutions themselves.

I read something from speaker Tracy Brinkmann that I really agreed with:

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Don't give yourself an out. Stop blaming your parents, your childhood, your kids, your wife, the economy, your boss, your dog, your postman or any other thing/person in your life. It is in fact YOUR life. Don't say if I could I would, say I can and I will. You may have many reasons why, but only you can CHANGE them, so take responsibility. Step up and remember the words of Oprah Winfrey "My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment." (OnlineOrganizing.com)